Friday, February 22, 2008

Requests from the Media

A major US television network is exploring the possibility of making a documentary about unassisted childbirth. I spoke with the producer for over an hour the other day and she seemed very receptive! She's interested in speaking with pregnant women in the US who are planning on giving birth unassisted sometime in the next 6 months. If you’d like to participate, please send me your name, phone number, email address, location and a paragraph or two about yourself, and I’ll pass it along to the producer – laurashanley@comcast.net.

* * * * * * *

I’m passing this along for Lynn Griesemer, author of Unassisted Homebirth: An Act of Love: A reporter from a prominent US magazine is doing a story on unassisted birth and would like to interview someone in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic who recently gave birth (within 6 months; planned, unassisted) or is currently pregnant and planning an unassisted homebirth. The reporter is particularly interested in a couple whose first or second child was / is going to be an unassisted birth. The magazine's desire is to visit in person, interview and take photos. Contact me if you'd like to participate. Lynn Griesemer, greeze@juno.com.

* * * * * * *

I’m passing this along for Anna Edwinson, a producer for Granada Media (participants need to be either in the US or UK): Channel 4 is making a documentary called “Wet Nurse” for one of the UK’s most acclaimed networks. We want to make an informative, thought provoking, fair and compassionate film exploring the need of a wet nurse in today’s modern society.

Now with health scares about formula milk, an increase in plastic surgery and women who can’t or won’t breastfeed – a wet nurse has its use. This added with gay couples – especially since the law changed allowing them to adopt – could a wet nurse make a comeback and become culturally accepted?

What I’m particularly looking for are women who can’t or won’t breastfeed and are currently engaged in casual or paid wet nursing. I’m also looking to speak to women who are currently cross feeding or wet nursing. It’s a complicated issue and I need your help to make sense of it all. You can email anna.edwinson@granadamedia.com to discuss further.

* * * * * * *

(This next one isn't from the media but I'm including it anyway.)

I’m passing this along for midwifery student, Clare Singleton: My name is Clare and I am a midwifery student at Yale School of Nursing. I am interested in Unassisted Childbirth and would like to do a case study. I am looking for women who would be interested in participating which would include filling out questionnaires once a month throughout their pregnancy and 2 weeks postpartum. All information provided will be kept confidential and no identifying information will be used in the final paper. I am currently working with my faculty to determine if written consent will be necessary.

My aim in conducting a case study to not only more learn about Unassisted Childbirth on a personal level and as a future health care provider, but also to present an objective view of the practice to the midwifery community. Those women who would like to participate can contact me at clare.singleton@yale.edu.

* * * * * * *

Please feel free to repost or pass these requests along to anyone you think might be interested.

No comments: